Friday, August 14, 2026

Friends of Friends Gone

Friday, August 14, 2026

Brad texted me an obit asking if I knew this person: Chuck Zahnow!, what a shock.

https://www.muellerfuneralhome.com/obituaries/charles-zahnow

Peter and I enjoyed sitting at the table with Chuck and his wife Bonnie at the MARTA luncheons for many years.  Every September he would present me with one or two of his fabulous dahlias.  I was so happy that I could post this photo on his Memorial page.

Then, Terry sent a message that Marilyn Schrader died.

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/name/marilyn-obituary?id=62175075

Marilyn was such a vital part of WAUC, leading us on her keyboard with seasonal songs and bringing her scrumptious cheesecake to WAUC parties.  She was a serious sheepshead player and would not tolerate bad plays.

These were two friends and friends of each other; Marilyn and the Zahnows were close friends.  Both funerals were the same day, hours apart.

Peter and I drove to attend Chuck's funeral at St. Paul's church in Grafton.  Because we were very early, we filled the time picking up a few things at P & S.

The service was lovely, with a men's choir singing two hymns, one in German.

I greeted Rev. Scultz afterwards, commenting on his homily that reflected his connection with Chuck.  Peter had to remind me to mention that Brad is a member of the church.  That sparked a recognition.

We started thinking about lunch and I suggested Ma Fisher's, where I had never been.  Great idea. We had more food than we could eat; the lunches included soup and salad/fruit.

We drove to the ATM for cash and to Whole Foods to get a refund on my Amazon sweaters.

That was a pretty full day.





No comments:

Post a Comment