Monday, February 15, 2021

A Very Sad Day

 August 24, 2000

At 1:15 pm I got a phone call with the caller ID Nathaniel L. Shorty from Flagstaff AZ.  I ignored the call; another spam.  I retrieved my calls, which I neglected to do for a long time and the last call was from Eric.  We exchanged short pleasantries, but I'm sure he would not call to find out how I am.  He was calling about his dad.  Don has stage four pancreatic cancer.  He and Masako are with Rachel and Troy.  Apparently they abandoned everything in Japan.  He got the diagnosis in Japan, then came to Wisconsin on Tuesday.  He will be getting treatments, but with the cancer spreading to his liver and lungs, the prognosis is not good.  He has maybe a year to live depending on how he responds to the treatments.  I am just heartsick.  I felt bad that he wouldn't be coming to the states this year because of the pandemic, but here he his, under the most terrible circumstances.










No comments:

Post a Comment