Sunday, February 14, 2021

SEWMG to Chicago

 March 24, 2017

Friday, March 24, 2017

After a rainy Thursday, the sky was clear and the day promised to warm up by the time we reached Chicago.

We started at the Garfield Park Conservatory, triple the size of the Domes, restored and asked for only a donation.  Many plant systems occupied various rooms.  The entry had a showy display of azaleas.

There were numerous cacti, many in bloom.

ThisTt

tT

This beautiful fern palm had an unusual reproductive cone.

Ne

Next it was about a half-hour drive to the Chicago Botanical Gardens where we had bag lunches waiting for us in a large lunch room.  When I first signed up I ordered some meat sandwich, not realizing it would be lent. I changed my order to a roasted eggplant and tomato sandwich, which was quite good.  We had ample time to view the spectacular display of various orchids.


I

The day warmed up to 74 degrees.  We could walk outdoors through the gardens, but nothing was really in bloom.  Gardeners were doing a lot of pruning and cleaning up.

We got back to Milwaukee about 5:00 p.m. where we really shivered in a drop to 39 degrees. I called Peter and we agreed to meet at That's Amore.  I went home to change into warmer clothes, and as I was leaving, I couldn't remember if he said Steak Out or That's Amore.  For some reason my mind registered Steak Out, and that's where I headed.  I registered for two, but then I thought I'd double check when Peter wasn't there.  I called That's Amore, asked if there was a short balding gentleman named Peter there. Yes, he was.  I told the host I'm on my way.  I didn't take me long to find Peter at the bar.  I didn't even have time to sip my martini before we were called to our table.  We both had blackened catfish, which had a nice spicy tang.  There is a nice salad bowl where we helped ourselves, with bread sticks.  I ordered sweet potatoes to go with my fish.  We were very pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment