Sunday, February 14, 2021

Jetta

 


Jerry was taking care of Jetta while Peter and I were in Florida during January.  He said she threw up all over the house at one point, and called Claude.  They did not want to alarm me.  But Jerry also noted that she hadn't been eating and using the litter box sparingly.

Monday, February 6, 2017

Took Jetta to the vet at 4:00 p.m. He thought she was dehydrated.   Did not feel any lumps or indications of discomfort.   He pumped fluid into her back, drew blood for blood work.  I should know the results by tomorrow morning.  He recommended canned food now that she's older that would be gentler on her gums and teeth.  Picked up an assortment of different canned food.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Jetta still isn't eating.  Offered canned tuna, canned salmon and warm milk, plus her dry food.  Vet called that there is no indication of kidney disease, but more tests might be necessary.  Saw Dr. Hauk at 4:00 p.m.   He gave her a small pill to improve her appetite which I will give her every three days.  Also a prescription for a liquid to squirt in her cheek.  Walgreen's has to order it.  It is supposed to relieve any pain she might have.  We might have to go more aggressive if the situation doesn't improve, like XRays.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Jetta sleeps at my side all through the night.

Dr. Hauk called as I was going into the Research Building at UW-M for an Osher program about UW-M.  Since Jetta hasn't been eating, he said I should try force feeding her with a thinned food through a syringe.  I picked the items up after my class.  Getting her to swallow the food was another issue.  She fought all the way.  I got more on myself than into her throat.

Friday, February 10, 2017

Continued feeding Jetta little doses.  I leave a lot around her mouth for her to lick off.

Saturday, February 11, 2017

My poor Jetta is so weak and fading before my eyes.  In the afternoon, I was so excited when she walked up to her feeding bowls and water.  Unfortunately she sniffed a little and walked away. I put more food all around the house, hoping she'd be still interested, but she just turns away.  Force feeding is so hard for her and she tries to hide from me in the basement.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Jetta really put up a fight when I tried to feed her.  It's not worth the effort; she's too miserable.  She sat on my lap while I took a nap.  She walked up to her feeding dish but walked away.  She threw up the pill I gave her, even though she had swallowed it.  Tomorrow I'll take her to the vet.

Monday, February 13, 2017

I decided not to take Jetta to the vet after all.  Further tests would be counterproductive.  She is so sick and weak ; I can't see putting her through any more misery.  I talked to Dr. Hauk and the only thing they would do is feed her intravenously, but what other problems are underlying her condition?  I am not force feeding her either; it is much too stressful, since she fights and yowls and spits.  I was so heartened when she approached her water dish, but just sat in front of it for quite a long time.  I really don't think she drank anything, and she didn't touch any food.

Friday, February 17, 2017

Through the week Jetta has been hiding in the basement, mostly under the stairs, way in the back.  Occasionally, she would be in my closet.  She would sit on my lap for a  while, then go back to her hiding place.  Dr. Hauk checked on her progress and suggested euthanasia, since she has not shown improvement.  And even though she does not seem to be in pain, her body is under a great deal of stress.  I decided to have the procedure done on Saturday morning.  Fortunately, the clinic will be open on Saturday morning.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

I called the clinic while I was having breakfast at Genesis.  I could bring her in at 10:00 a.m.  Jetta was in my closet, so it was no problem getting her into her carrier; for once, she didn't fight it (she was just too weak).  I filled out a form stating that I did not want her ashes, paid the bill of $167.17, so I wouldn't have to deal with it afterwards.  A technician took her to have a catheter inserted into her leg, while I waited.  I held her while Dr. Hauk administered the solution that would end her life.  At 10:15 a.m. her little heart stopped beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment