Monday, February 15, 2021

Planting

Shopping for plants is like shopping for toilet paper in a pandemic!  To refresh my memory, I asked Jerry how to get to Wayne's Daughters where we went last year for our plants.  He said not to waste my time; it is almost bare.  This was two weeks before Memorial Day.  I decided to take a drive anyway; Jerry was right, hardly any plants.  All the greenhouses were empty.  There were quite a few plants outside, but not what I was looking for.  I bought some nicotiana, a fushia and some herbs.  Planted them when I got home.

Friday, May 29, 2020

I thought I'd get an early start at Bluemel's for some annuals.  Not one!  there were some in pots, roses, grasses and shrubs, but not much else.  A woman suggested a place on Howell south of Rawson that only sells annuals.  I drove there.  It's a temporary hot house with a lot of plants.  But nothing was labeled, and I didn't see any fibrous begonias or anything else I wanted.  Next, I drove to Custom Greenhouse on 6th street north of Layton.  They had a pretty good supply.  I bought marigolds, a flat of fibrous begonias, zinnias and coleus.  This was all before my 12:30 pm hair appointment.  Jocelyn said Tehan Greenhouses on Rawson east of Howell had plenty of plants when she went there.  I'll give it a try.

It was too hot to plant after my hair, and I didn't want to get sweated up, so I relaxed indoors.  At about 4:30 pm, it became cooler and overcast, ideal for planting.  After I got all the purchased plants in, I had some gaps to fill in, but it is starting to look nice.

Saturday, May 30, 2020

I drove to Tehan, that I never heard of before.  It is a little off the road, and I'd miss seeing it if I didn't know the address or see the sign.  Many greenhouses, all empty except one with a few vegetables.  Not one annual, but it's good to keep in mind in the future.  I went back to Custom and bought some ageratum and petunias.  The woman at Custom said the sales were unbelievable, also their shipment wasn't as large as it usually it.  I finished my planting, compete with my glass plate garden ornament.  I hope the bare spots fill in.

The brick is a stepping stone when I fill the jelly jar and safflower feeder.  I'll probably add a few more.


Peter and I really need to get away somewhere before the summer is over.  That cabin in Minocqua still haunts me.  I looked it up to see what vacancies there are.  The week of Labor Day was open.  I called Peter and we had a nice visit.  He was in favor of going to Minocqua, so I reserved it for September 5 - 11, and we are confirmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment