Monday, February 15, 2021

Pandemic

 March 13, 2020

Many cancellations because of the corona virus.  It is recommended that people stay at home.  I still had my much needed hair appointment with a hair cut.  Did some grocery shopping and invited Peter for a shrimp supper.

March 14, 2020

Peter and I met at Divine Mercy, the same church as last week for John Reitzi's funeral in South Milwaukee, for David Wick's funeral, who is an Austrian Club member.  Peter, as vice-president, was really a representative of the Austrian Club.

March 15th, 2020

Founders' Day at Bullwinkle's still took place, and people didn't seem too concerned about the virus.

March 16, 2020

Many cancellations in city and county.  No WAUC lunch, I cancelled Red Hats.  I walked around the block once in the morning and again in the afternoon, with much effort.  My lower back is very painful, also my calves.

March 17, 2020

I did some light grocery shopping at P & S, mostly to make my trail mix. That stuff is addicting.  I ordered ear phones from Amazon; my noise cancelling phones had one earpiece loose.  Now that I'm walking, I like listening to blogs.  Walked around the block.

March 18, 2020

Did not leave the house except to get the paper and mail.  I listen to Anthony Cuomo from NY, with bleak news about how his state is the epicenter of the virus with many deaths and lack of supplies.

March 19th, 2020

Walked around the block with my new earphones.  Rained most of the day, very light and steady.

March 19, 2020

All beauty shops are closed, and any business that has personal contact.  Didn't leave the house.

March 21, 2020

Grocery stores are keeping special hours for seniors, so I was at the P & S on Rawson at 6:30 pm, along with other seniors, some wearing masks.  Shelves are depleted of toilet paper and sanitizing supplies.  I have a plentiful supply.  I stocked up way before this virus developed, and I bought a big pack.  I also have plenty of paper towels. I made a chicken breast with mushrooms topped with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese that turned out quite good.

March 22, 2020

Masses are cancelled.  The governor has ordered that groups of no more than 50 can congregate in any one place, so that eliminates church services.  I watched the mass at 5:30 am, from my bed in my nightgown, then went back to sleep.

March 23, 2020

Once around the block on a mild day.  Lots of walkers in the neighborhood.  That's about all that people can do. 

March 24, 2020

My Plant Diagnostics class at Boerner was cancelled, so it's being held on Zoom.  This was very convenient.  It didn't take long to get adjusted to the concept.  Then, Osher also has Zoom classes.  Today was Kim O'Meara that was truly inspiring.  Her poem that someone shared on Facebook went virile, with many people putting her poem to music in different languagesl

In the Time of Pandemic


And the people stayed home.

And they read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still.

And they listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to think differently.

And the people healed.

And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the earth began to heal.

And when the danger passed, and the people joined together again, they grieved their losses, and made new choices, and dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed.

I'm enjoying following her on the-daily-round.com

March 25, 2020

Diagnostics on turf.

March 26.

Diagnostics on Apples and Raspberries.  John Gurda on The Making of Milwaukee on Osher.

March 27.

Got to Sendik's at 6:30, but they open at 7:00 for seniors.

Everyone is supposed to stay six feet apart, and it looked like it was working, except there were two entrances and there was too much crowding when getting carts. 

Diagnostics on trees

Walked slowly around the block without stopping. Last of the pierogi for supper.

March 28.

I was supposed to lector at 4:00 pm, but no church services are being held.

March 29

Made waffles, with enough to freeze.  Dumped the waffle iron in the trash because it heated unevenly and the waffles stuck even when I greased the griddle.  I bought it at the estate sale before I was married!  Watching the mass from St. John's Cathedral at 11:00 am was more satisfying than on Channel 6.

March 30

Claude calls me to check up on how I'm doing and we have some nice long chats about all kinds of things.  Laura and Janice also call.  Peter texts me every day with blessings and love.

March 31.

Last diagnostic class on vegetables.

April 1

Osher class on Looking at the Bright side with suggestions for keeping up our spirits, especially not watching too much news.  I watch Anthony Cuomo and the situation is dire.  I try to avoid the daily briefings with trump, because I absolutely cannot tolerate him.

April 2

Poems of Life, Wonder and Affirmation gave me a different insight to understanding some of the poetry.  What bothers me is why do I have to get an interpretation to understand the poem by myself.  Then John Gurda gave a program on Milwaukee's Economic Roots.  He's always so enjoyable to listen to.

April 3

Relived my Iceland trip on Osher, but the speaker had more travel information instead of the highlights of Iceland.  That prompted me to look at my trip photos.  I'm also posting on Facebook what I was doing ten years ago when I was on my Exploritas trip.

April 4

I'm doing a lot of reading, but I'm not bored.  I can always find something to do. There's a Daily Reflection every day from the Cathedral expounding on the daily reading.

April 5

I signed up for Amazon Prime and saved a bundle on gifts I sent to the family.  It took me a long time to get everything right, but I think the Easter gift will lift everyone's spirits.  Watched the 11:00 am from St. John's.

April 6

Osher stories also How COVID-19 is affecting Wisconsin

April 7

Wore a mask to shop at P & S at 6:30.  Found everything I needed, lucky it wasn't toilet paper

April 8

Worked on my accounts with the determination to keep at it more faithfully.

April 9

Worked on my Alabama trip on Penzu and keeping an account of the pandemic.

 I haven't been following through on keeping track of daily activities.  But here are some additions.

Laura got me started listening to Jean Martyn on Facebook at 1:00 pm.  She is a very accomplished organist and plays a variety of music that appeals to a wide group of followers.

Book Club met on Zoom.  I've been catching up with a lot of reading.  A Gentleman in Moscow was very engrossing.  It put isolation in a whole new perspective when Count Rostov was exiled in his hotel for 22 years.  A beautiful relationship between him and a young girl, then her daughter, who he treated as his daughter.  Beautifully written.  I'm also reading The Fall of Berlin, which is very detailed.  I wish I had some good maps to refer to.  That's the shortcoming of reading such a historic book on a Kindle.  There probably are maps, but at the end, and very small.

Claude does all of his grocery shopping online and picks them up.  I tried it a couple of times with Festival Foods.  I was quite satisfied.  Except when I ordered smoked pork hocks that I wanted to use for split pea soup.  They didn't have split peas and they sent my fresh pork hocks instead and wouldn't take them back, but didn't charge me.  I roasted four of them; they were very dry with so little meat that I ate them all. 

Still determined to make split pea soup, I bought two at Ray's.  I had the most delicious meaty soup.  It was worth the wait.

I don't walk as much as I should, but the girls down the street have some neat chalk drawings.


WAUC has been conducting meetings and SIGs on Zoom.  Howie from APCUG has been joining us as a valuable resource.


My trip to New Orleans with Osher has been canceled, which I was not too disappointed about.  It would involve a lot of walking which I'm not able to keep up with any more.  I wouldn't want to hold the group back.

May 17th.

After their hike, Vagabonds met at Area 7 in Whitnall park and Ron suggested people gather to meet one another again.  The day was perfect with about 40 people.  I brought water and wine, unfortunately no beer for Peter.  We practiced social distancing and had a wonderful day.

May 22, 2020

I was able to get my hair done.  Jocilyn and I wore masks.  I unhooked mine during my shampoo, but still kept my mouth covered.  A haircut and style made me look human again.


May 30, 2020

Church services resumed this weekend.  There are fewer lectors, which means we'll be lectoring more often.  I lectored at the 4:00 pm mass.  The church was roped off to allow seating on the right side of the church only.  Ushers wearing masks directed people to their seats.  There were no more than 50, about 10 not wearing masks.  I wore my mask, but removed it when I read.  We did not line up for Communion, but stood in our places until Father Terry came to each one and dropped the host in each palm.

No comments:

Post a Comment