Sunday, February 14, 2021

Door County Weekend 2016

Thursday, September 22, 2016
Peter changed his mind about taking his bike, so his luggage was in the driveway when I pulled into to his driveway.  I had to get gas and he said I should have gotten gas ahead of time, "what if the price goes up? "  We had a pleasant drive and got to the Alpine Inn about 4:30.  We are in Kentucky again with Gloria Zenger and Jim Luling.  Maureen recommended the Log Den for dinner and we were not disappointed.  I had a half broasted chicken,  Peter had a quarter,  but he made up for his portion with soup and salad.  We finished the evening in our cabin  with Gloria and Jim.

Friday,  September 23, 2016
A ferry to Washington Island seemed like a good idea, and my phone gave details about a combination ferry and Cherry Train trip around the island.  We weren't on the ferry three minutes before it left the dock.  Good thing we found a nearby parking spot.  The trip on the water was very windy.  We looked for the Cherry Train and a couple said it left 10 minutes ago.  They obviously don't synchronize with the ferry.  We walked and sat around for the 1:00 p.m. train.  A good number of Vagabonds were also on the train.   

The woman driver narrated along the way and made a few stops to look around.
It was a worthwhile way to spend the afternoon.  On the way back I picked up tickets for 39 Steps for tonight.   We were served early and ordered beef sandwiches which we thought would be quicker to eat.  We weren't satisfied with the slabs of beef that were hard to chew.  We got to the theater in plenty of time and enjoyed this cleverly acted play with 4 people playing multiple hilarious roles.  We ended the evening in our cabin with our take-out desserts and were joined by Marcia Northouse and Kris.

Saturday, September 24, 2016
Our destination was the Baileys Harbor Autumn Fest.  We viewed a number of cars and voted on the one we liked best.

We headed for the Harbor Fish Market that Keith recommended.  My GPS seemed to direct us out of town,  Even though Keith said it was right in town.  We walked maybe 3 miles and finally stopped where a woman was having a rummage sale and asked if there was some way we could get a ride either to the restaurant or back to town.  She said that the restaurant was right in town.  My GPS was assuming that I was driving and that is why we were going in the wrong direction.  Miraculously,  a car was pulling up, maybe to check to on the rummage sale.  I asked if by any chance they would be going to Baileys Harbor and would they give us a ride.  They graciously agreed.  When we got downtown,  we asked where the restaurant was, and it was only two blocks from where we started out.  We would have liked to eat outdoors by the lake, but the hostess said the bees were very aggressive. Our table had a nice view of the lake.  We had delicious walleye sandwiches.  We walked back to the fest area.  I bought some toffee, a silver spoon ring and  dyed shirt.  I think the last item might have been a mistake.  When we got back I took a nap until 5:00 p.m.
When we got to the cocktail party Ron announced my Birthday and everyone sang to me. We both had salmon, which was good and cherry pie for dessert.  I wanted to join a game of dominoes but they were playing with double 18s and it was taking forever.  I had my set and we taught Marcia,  Kris and Fran how to play Screw Your Neighbor.  I felt bad that I won the first 3 games, but Marcia won 2 and Kris won  one. The rest of the Vagabonds were dancing.

Sunday,  September 25, 2016
We were packed before breakfast where I indulged in Swiss toast: French toast with cream cheese between the slices, topped with cherries and cream.  I left a little.

A man took our picture by the lake


We stopped for cherry jam for Sabiheh and me, drove to Fish Creek and looked in the shops until it started to rain.  We drove along the lake through Algoma and Kewaunee and Manitowoc.  Peter drove the entire way while I knit.

We listened to the Packers for the first half the  decided to watch the rest of the game at the Bavarian Bierhaus.  There were a lot of Packer rooters there and the Packers won against the Lions 34 -27.  Good thing they scored big ìn the beginning.  We used our steins to share beers and also had sandwiches,  Ruben for Peter, ham and cheese for me, enough for a second meal..

It rained so hard we had to wait for Peter to unload.  It stopped at his house but poured on my way home. I could hardly see the road.  It cleared up enough for me to get to the 6:00 p.m. mass at Our Lady of Lourdes.  It rained hard again at night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment