Monday, February 15, 2021

Summer 2000

Friday, June 19th

After viewing an informative nutrition Osher program, I decided to make a completely meatless meal for our Friday dinner.  I never heard of Farro, so this was going to be an adventure.  I cooked the Farro, which looked like barley but a little larger.  It took about 30 minutes to cook.  I prepared cauliflower, red onion, red pepper, zucchini, and summer squash and grilled them in a vegetable basket.  I made the sauce that really finished the dish and gave it life.  I toasted some garlic french bread to complete the meal .Peter and I really enjoyed it. For dessert, Peter suggested a trip to Leon's.  There weren't crowds of people, but with the spacing it took longer to be served.  It was worth the wait.

Phone story: Peter's phone was not taking a charge, after numerous attempts.  He was so disgusted that he asked Terry to order a new phone for him.  She gave him a link and he ordered one.  In the meantime, Terry wanted to check the phone out herself.  She worked on it, put settings in order and it took a full charge.  She also told Peter not to activate the new phone, because this one still had life.  When he came over, I gave him the box with the new and old phones.  The old phone was dead again, most likely because it had been sitting idle for a few days with the power on.  But I started charging it and it started charging up to 1%.  Peter thought he'd continue charging it at his house.  And he left.


Saturday, June 21st

Peter was totally frustrated.  His old phone still didn't take a charge.  As a last resort, he activated his new phone.  He wasn't getting that one to work either, and somehow the old phone started charging to 100%.  He came over with both phones to see if I could help.  I called Track Phone technical support and eventually got his service in order.  With my difficulty hearing and Maria's accent it was amazing that I understood those directions.

We needed a break and headed out to Mariachi's for steak fajita and Margaritas.  This would be our first venture to a restaurant since the pandemic. The staff were wearing masks and tables were separated.  We were very satisfied sharing the fajita with 6 tortillas.  

We stopped off at ECU's ATM to get some money, then drove to Warnimont Park and sat near the edge of a grassy area looking out at the beautiful lake.  We stayed until the black flies started to bite.  We took a detour to avoid the Black Lives Matter march that was going down one of the South Milwaukee streets.

Sunday, June 21st

I went to 10:30 mass, which was sparsely attended maybe 30 people.  In Romans 5:12-15, though sin is not accounted when there is no law, I compared it to there is no COVID-19 when there is no testing. 

Purple Heart is coming for a pick-up tomorrow, so I had to get my discards together.  I looked at the drawers with all my craft supplies that I haven't touched for over ten years, and don't anticipate any crafting urge in the near future.  Instead of separating the items, and there was plenty, I left them all in the drawers and donated it as is.  I managed to get both drawer sets upstairs, regretting that I didn't invite Peter to help me.  Then I looked at the sewing machine that I touched maybe once since 2001.  I sorted things out and then thought Peter could come over and we'd carry it upstairs to donate that also.  After calling him and trying to lift one end of the machine, I didn't think I'd be able to be much help.  He thought Purple Heart might be able to take it upstairs.  Peter brought his old phone with over 1500 photos that he wanted transferred to his computer.  I was able to do that.  It took some searching to find the phone file, then the pictures.  But he's happy to be able to see them on his computer. 

We headed out to the Rock, sitting high up overlooking the landscape on a beautiful breezy afternoon.  Peter went back for our steins to pour our beers into.  We ended up at Point After on 76th and Rawson for a Reuben sandwich that we split and beers.  Somehow the computer registered two Reubens, but we paid for just one and we each had a take-home.  That was pretty filling.

Thus ended a lovely first day of summer weekend.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment