Thursday, February 18, 2021

Thinking of Movong

 December 30, 2020

Jay came on Saturday the 26th, to pick up something from Anton's car, but I think he had ulterior motives.  He wanted a glass of wine and we talked.  He was concerned about my shortness of breath.  We then discussed my living arrangements and how long I might live in my condo.  I said I was contemplating a move, and he strongly suggested that I think about moving closer to the family.  I said that would be my intention and mentioned Eastcastle Place.  Jay was aware of other homes in the area also.

Laura called me either the same day or Sunday and discussed moving again.  I said that I would give it serious thought.

https://eastcastleplace.com/

I filled out financial information online at EastCastle Place to see if I could afford living there.  I would qualify for a one-bedroom apartment.  I requested a call back for more information.  Monday morning I got a call to answer my questions: yes, they have Catholic masses on Sunday, and yes, they do allow pets.  They would send me more information on finances.

Where do I start to downsize?  I thought a good place to start would be thinning down my calendars.  I brought a box upstairs from 1972 and started reading.  What memories and memorabilia! Recital programs, plays, a letter from Laura on her Slavic trip, a letter from Mother from Germany, obituaries, news clippings.  What do I throw away?  And so many notes about Mokelkes.  I put markers on those pages to include in my next letter to Donald.  Unfortunately, nothing got tossed.

December 29, Annika's Birthday.  I called The Catholic Home to get information on what they offered.  They allow cats, but no dogs.  They will send me more detailed information.   https://www.milwaukeecatholichome.org/

I wrote Don and Masako a letter with notes about what we did together in 1972 and 1973.  I took out loose items from the calendars and tossed the books away.  I was sad reading some of the turmoil going on in my life.

I ordered cashew shrimp from Green Tree Gardens for supper, enough for two meals.

January 1, 2021

I spent most of the day in my computer room cleaning out my file drawers and shredding.  The bags are overflowing with statements and stuff I hadn't looked at in years.  I took out a folder of cards that I created and put them aside, just to surprise myself at what I created.

Saturday, January 2, 2021

I continued cleaning and sorting.  I filled a huge bag with clothes that no longer fit.  It's shameful how much weight I've gained, and every resolution to cut back gets cast by the wayside.  Such short-lived commitments.  

I lectored at the 4:00 pm mass.  The church was beautiful with the splash of poinsettias.  The Catholic Home literature was in my mailbox when I got home.  This would be possible and would fit in my budget.  Looking at the video, I'd look like a kid among those people.  But, no doubt I would fit in.

1/4/2021

I took down my Christmas decorations and set aside a box that I would want to take to senior living.

Jay and Aleksei came for a visit before he leaves for California.  We discussed my move and I seemed firm in my decision.

I sent an email to the family with details of St. Rita's, which I really liked.

https://www.capricommunities.com/locations/st-rita-square/

It was Janice's week to call and from her car asked why I sent that message.  She was furious. She mentioned Heidi's mom in Seattle, being locked down during the pandemic, losing my independence and really did not like the idea.

So I gave it second thoughts.

I am too impulsive and make these decisions too quickly.  Claude said that I need help I should get Comfort Keepers that helps people stay in their homes.

January 12, 2021

It's Laura's week to check up on me and she commented on the bombshell I dropped when I wrote to Jay that I reconsidered moving.  He included me in a letter to the Farradays about how they downsized before moving into their apartment.

Laura really wants me to reconsider moving out of Franklin and closer to them, in a place that is more manageable.

I will keep this to myself.  The more I discuss this the more confused I become with everyone's advice.

February 17, 2021

I Zoomed a downsizing program offered by EastCastle Place.  It was a refresher course of things I already learned.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment