Sunday, February 14, 2021

Polishfest

 

    Sunday, June 18, 2017

Peter and I met at the State Fair P&R at 9:15 a.m. for the Polishfest mass.  We took my car because we would be picking up Laura's houseplants for me to take care of while they are in Europe.  We found a parking spot right in front of the Italian Community Center for a short walk to the mass site.  I called Claude, but he didn't answer; I left a message with our location, hoping he could join us.

After mass we walked to some of the tents and I bought a candle holder crafted by some metal worker for $20.  It should make a nice piece for my dining table.  We did more walking and met a few Vagabonds.  We shared a plate of four meat-filled pierogis while listening to non-stop polka music.  The day was perfect.  We took jackets because the forecast was for cooler weather, but we didn't need them.  Walking along the lakefront and around the grounds was very pleasant.  We watched the Sirena Dance group before deciding to have something to eat elsewhere.   On our way out Peter got his hand stamped, for what reason I don't know because we were not going to re-enter.  We headed to Laura's and admired her garden; she has a really chic haircut.  We didn't stay very long, just to pack up her plants and wish them bon voyage.  We were heading to the Esterbrook Park Beer Garden.  As we were driving, Peter noticed the hand stamp smeared on his leg and a little on his shorts and it was still wet.  So we changed our plans and headed towards the Bavarian Inn where he'd have better facilities for getting cleaned up.  It was a better choice.  We were in time for the Happy Hour where beer was half price.  I had a ham/cheese sandwich; Peter had a specialty that he liked.  I had one beer, Peter had two while watching the US Open at Erin Hills.  Claude called and said he just heard my message, and had been at Polishfest and was sitting towards the back at mass.  It was strange that we didn't meet somewhere on the grounds since the crowd was rather spread out.

Peter persuaded me that coming to my house would complete the evening.  I didn't see him following me from the P&R, but then I spotted a car that looked exactly like his coming up behind me.  I lost the car somewhere on 76th Street and Peter wasn't coming after I had been home already for some time.  I finally called him and he said his battery was dead.  A man with his family that was near Peter's car was able to jump start it.  Peter had called me, but if my phone was on silent I certainly couldn't hear it.  He eventually got to my house and we spent the evening reading the paper and talking; we didn't even turn on the TV.  We were in bed at 10:00 p.m (I can't remember every getting to bed that early), but I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep, once I found a comfortable position.  My right shoulder is still giving me trouble.

We were up at 6:30 a.m.  I made oatmeal, a hard cooked egg for Peter and stolen.  Peter left at about 8:15; I left for Potpourri at 9:00.  Locust and Keefe ramps were closed; I had to use Capitol Dr. and got to the class on aging in plenty of time.

I drove to SuCasa to join the Ladies of Lee-sure for lunch.  We chose it for outdoor dining, but because the weather was iffy, the outdoors was closed.  We had a nice table close to the window in a private room  I had a taco salad; I should have had the nice shrimp salad that Janet had; it looked very satisfying and not so filling.  When I got home, I got a survey to fill out on a class that I was supposed to have been in.  I didn't put it in my calendar and so I didn't go.  That's not the first time I missed some appointment.  Very disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment