Sunday, February 14, 2021

 April 16, 2016

This is not the first time this has happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last....forgetting an appointment or birthday.

Yesterday Peter sent me an e-mail suggesting That's Amore for fish.  We were to meet at the restaurant at 6:30 p.m.  As I was finding a parking space, he was walking towards the restaurant.  We were seated immediately, passing up drinks (thankfully) and ordered blackened catfish.  We finished our salad and Peter asked, "Is this the day we were supposed to go to the Hartland theater?"  I said that I thought it was next week.  I checked my phone. Sure enough it was tonight at 7:30 p.m. and we were just served our dinners at 7:10 p.m.  Our waiter, realizing our panic when I told him we were supposed to be at another engagement at 7:30, immediately gave us take-home containers and our bill.  We were almost going to forget the theater, but Peter didn't want to lose $20 per ticket.

I said I'd drive my car, leaving Peter's in That's Amore's parking lot.  I knew that I'd drive faster than Peter, and I did.  Our arrival time on the GPS was 7:40; I made it at 7:37.  On the way I realized that our e-tickets were tacked on to my bulletin board, but I hoped the ushers would allow us to get in.  I did not think we were going to be admitted during a performance, so Peter told me to slow down; it didn't matter if we were late if they weren't going to let us in until intermission.  I'm glad that I didn't listen to him.  I found a parking space across the street from the theater and we were allowed in during the performance and without the e-ticket.  We really didn't miss much of "Witness for the Prosecution", maybe six minutes.  And it wasn't difficult to get the gist of the play, even coming in late.  I had already seen the movie with Charles Laughton, Tyrone Power and Marlene Dietrich a number of times, so I knew what to expect.  When the lights went on at intermission, we saw Kaye Bires sitting directly in front of us.  We chatted, went to the lobby and had some cookies that were being passed around, and went back to enjoy the rest of the play.  We didn't change to the seats that we paid for; where we were sitting was satisfactory.

The play was very well done.  Some voices could have projected a little more.  Mrs. McKinsey and the doctor were especially good, with a good accent and projection.  Mr. Vole was excellent, clearly understood and a lot of emotion.

After the play we stopped for drinks at the Harland Inn.  The kitchen was closed, but there were pretzels with hot mustard at the bar.  Our waitress and one of the patrons were very connected with the theater, so we had a lot to talk about. 

We drove back to get Peter's car, almost forgetting that it was at That's Amore.  Peter suggested following me home, but I didn't seem to agreeable.  Peter's uncle Joe Steffan and his grandson are coming to Peter's house to pick up some cut logs, so Peter will be at breakfast, but not pickleball.

No comments:

Post a Comment