Sunday, February 14, 2021

Sore Arms

 May 11, 2016

Ever since late August my arms really hurt.  It started with my left arm.  It was painful closing the car door, fastening my seat belt, reaching, putting on my bra.  At first I thought it was caused by carrying luggage on our trip.  Then my right arm started hurting.  I feared the worst: shoulder replacement.  I told Doctor Switala about it when I had my wellness check and she recommended seeing Dr. Mark Wichman, orthopedist.  I didn't want to see anyone because if I had any shoulder surgery I'd be in some kind of sling and have limited movement, rehab and whatever else it entailed.  With Thanksgiving, Christmas and our trip to Florida coming up I didn't want to involve any surgery.


Finally, I bit the bullet and on February 11, I saw Dr. Wichman.  I had XRays taken and nothing indicated that I needed surgery.  He was super!  He gave me a cortizone shot in each arm and recommended therapy.  I had a few appointments with a therapist at the Aurora on Loomis Road, where I did some stretching exercises, also an ultrasound treatment.  I felt great after just a few sessions and we agreed that I didn't need to come in any more.


Not too long after, my right shoulder started giving me trouble, but the pain was in my muscle.  I felt a lot of pain when I combed my hair, reached for the garage door opener, dressing/undressing, and similar tasks that involved raising my right arm.


In the news were articles about the benefits of statins to reduce cholesterol, and one comment that struck me was the muscle pain caused by statins.  I never associated the two.  I Googled it, and sure enough, statins cause muscle pain, even after taking it over a period of years.


I have decided to stop taking the statin as of Tuesday, May 10.  I will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment