Sunday, February 14, 2021

Valentine's Day 2018

 

Valentine's Day

I had a lot on my calendar, more than I should have, and scheduled for the wrong date.  So I started the day overwhelmed.  Master Gardener meeting at 9:30 a.m. at Boerner, followed by Garden Support Committee at 10:30.  I excused myself to leave early, because I was going to meet Peter at the State Fair P&R so we could drive together to the Hefter Center for a lecture I think he would have liked: Why We Celebrate Veterans Day Instead of Armistice Day.  It gives the history of the treaty and how it impacted history.  We got to the center and I had trouble opening the door.  I didn't see anyone around or milling about in the classroom.  Lucky that I had my program book in my bag to check...it is for March 14!  What a dip!  I chose to go back via Wisconsin Ave. and as we're nearing the museum we could pick up Peter's cap that I left there (that's another story).  I parked and he went in and retrieved his cap. We also called Rudy to have lunch with Peter. 

After dropping Peter off, I bought some chocolate brandy at Discount Liquor for the dessert for tonight, then to a dollar store for some soft foil for the burritos for breakfast.  I prepared the burritos when I got home, freezing what we wouldn't have for breakfast.  I did some prep on tonight's dinner and rested while watching the devastating school shooting in Florida. 

Peter arrived at 6:00 p.m. with a lovely bouquet from his favorite florist.  I put the finishing touches on Shrimp Polonaise, green beans with toasted almonds, yellow rice and a salad.  We both enjoyed a delicious meal.  Even though it's work, I much prefer eating at home than in some rushed restaurant.  We just lingered and had a relaxing meal.  We watched the Olympics for a while before I served a chocolate/strawberry milkshake with chocolate brandy.  Just perfect, not too filling and nothing left over.  We watched the Olympics until almost midnight.

The burritos at breakfast were very good.  I'm going to keep them in mind for Florida.  One apiece was plenty with yogurt and strawberries.  My coffeemaker was clogged; the grounds collected below the filter and the water didn't pass through.  We talked about the coffeemaker: how long I had it, etc.  Peter saw coffeemakers on sale at Kohl's.  I also said that I'd like a reading lamp with a goose neck next to my recliner.  We both had a relatively free day, so after reading the paper and watching more news about the Florida shooting we went to the lighting store on St. Paul.  The lamps that I was interested in had pull chains; I went through two of those, no, thank you.  We talked to a manager who gave us some options, finally deciding on changing the switch to a key.  While that was being done, Peter met one of his bosses from Briggs.  This is not an uncommon occurrence.  We have met so many people that Peter knows.  On the way home I bought a Mr. Coffeemaker at Kohl's with a 30% discount coupon, plus it was on sale from the ad in today's paper.  The salesman scanned it and I got if for the reduced price.

When we got home, Peter assembled the lamp, replaced the front door bulb, filled the bird feeder and put the heater back into the bird bath.  I prepared the coffeemaker by running it without any coffee, then brewing our first cups of nice strong coffee.

So our Valentine's Day lasted two days with a lot of love for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment