Sunday, February 14, 2021

July 4, 2018

 

This is the day for Mel's 4th of July Bike ride.  I was at Peter's by 8:15 a.m.  He seemed ready to go.  I suggested once we got to the meeting place in Mequon I would take his car to Cedarburg, watch the parade, and we would meet after the parade and he wouldn't have to bike back to get his car.  We made sure we had our phones connected....Peter can't find his phone.  He looked in every bag and pocket, then decided that someone would call me from their phone to arrange a meeting place.  We got to Libby Montana's in plenty of time and were joined by many more bikers.  I was the only non-biker.  So I wouldn't have been able to hitch a ride with anyone that wasn't a biker.  I took the group picture and they were off by 9:30. Peter found his phone in his bike bag.

I drove to Cedarburg and found a parking spot; lucky that I took a picture of the cross streets.  I walked to the parade site and found a shady spot.  It was a very nice parade and getting a Popsicle at the end was a real treat.  Peter called me and said he was at City Hall.  I told him where I was and he should come and meet me.  He didn't seem too pleased.  It took him a very long time.  I expected for him to bike over; he was walking!  Then he said that I should have gone for the car and picked him up.  We exchanged words, and started walking to the car.  I overshot the street because I thought the cross street was Nelson, and it was Madison, but it was just one block back.  But in 90 degree heat, it was very strenuous.  

Peter got the bike hooked up and we started looking for the city park where all the activities were.  We asked a few people, even though I had my phone, and finally got there.  We found a convenient parking spot and walked to the park.  The drum and bugle corps were playing.  The first thing I wanted was one of the hot dogs.  And I was not disappointed.  We found space at a picnic table and listened to the end of the performance and the start of a small group.  There was a very slight breeze that helped a little, but the time really dragged, especially when Peter starts on the political situation. 

We decided to head to Gloria's for the picnic and we were not the first ones.  More people came that were not bikers and there was a pretty full yard.  I brought mixed fruit and there were brats, hamburgers and plenty of other food.  Nothing seemed to quench my thirst.  I had some wine, but I barely drank any.  The beer didn't satisfy Peter either.  We saw people packing up and decided to follow suit. 

There wasn't any suggestion of following me home; I think we were both pretty exhausted, and the day didn't start out very well.  But whatever happens, Peter seems to let it pass without bringing it up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment