Sunday, February 14, 2021

Florida 2017

 

People we met:
Janet, Seascape manager
Dave in 206, helped to set code for WiFi wife Sharon
Wayne, stationed in Hanau, wife Patty
Bob in 308 Shiela's brother and wife Mary
Sharon , likes pierogi
Woody and Jan
Bill and Jinny (Virginia)
Nancy Grimm from Hales Corners
Jim and Susan sunset from Toronto
Bridget and John pickleball 
Dixie pickleball and Al
Deanna pickleball and John
Christine pickleball 
Mike pickleball 
Anique, born in Paris, went to school in Germany 
Nan from Chicago
Mel and Joyce from Indianapolis 
Lou in Cowboys jersey
Gary, Mexican Train,  Bocci ball
Willa, Building F Sunset
Sandy, Chuck new
Paul and Karen, pickleball on January 26

Joanne Chicago

Roger groundskeeper

Letha California



Friday, December 30, 2016
I was up at 4:45 a.m. and didn't have a lot of time to spare getting ready and packing up the cooler. The morning was a crisp 30 degrees.  I was at Peter's shortly after 6:00 a.m.  He was ready to go and we were on our way.  The roads are excellent, weather the same.  The GPS on my phone does not give me voice commands when we have such a long distance to travel to Chattanooga, TN.  The Garmin took over and we were on a route that we never took before, with a lot of tolls.  We stopped for a light breakfast at the Cracker Barrel and changed drivers at 9:45 a.m. in Indiana. 
The roads continue to be excellent: clear, no traffic backups, no precipitation.
We switched drivers a couple of times at rest stops and when we had soggy waffles at the Waffle House.  The GPS rerouted us to avoid a huge traffic backup, and we didn't lose any time for our arrival. 
We arrived at the Travelodge at about 7:45 p.m.  We are conveniently located right off I 75 and will have easy access to the freeway as we continue.  There were many restaurants from  which to choose and we walked to Applebee's.   I had a very satisfying Asian shrimp salad.  When we got back to our room we showered and turned in early to be ready to continue our journey.

Saturday, December 31, 2016
Breakfast was sparse, but we managed to get a start with juice, corn flakes, and split a bagel, also lots of coffee. We were on the road at 7:00 a.m., 40 degrees and calm.  The roads continue to be excellent, and driving is pleasant.  We switched drivers at a rest stop in Macon. 
 
We started shedding clothing at a Florida rest stop, where the temperature was 70 degrees.  Traffic backs up in cycles, mostly when we are nearing a city on  I 75.
We arrived at our condo at 7:20 p.m. 75 degrees.
The code worked to open the gate, and the key was in the drier duct as Tom advised.  We watched fireworks that were shot off on the beach.  We unpacked and celebrated our arrival/New Year's Eve with champagne,  fried potatoes,  cooked Polish sausage and shrimp.  I could not connect with the WiFi.  After a long day,  we turned in.

Sunday, January 1, 2017
We had a light breakfast because we were going to the condo brunch after mass.  We went to the 9:30 a.m. mass, which was well attended.  I cut up some cold Polish sausage and arranged them on a plate with horseradish, also slices of stollen.  By the time we got to the brunch, there wasn't much left.  But we had a nice visit with Patti and Tom.  Tom tried connecting the WiFi, but didn't have any luck either.  A rep will be in the office tomorrow and Tom suggested asking him for help. 

We shopped at Pubix for $103.00 of groceries, then looked for a sports bar where we could watch the Packers later on. Murphy's was small and smoky, but Johnny Malloy's seemed to have what we wanted. There was a large crowd watching various games, and no seating was available.   We put away our groceries and had a light lunch of summer sausage and cheese sandwiches and pears.
We left for Johnny Malloy's about 7, and  the crowd from t,he afternoon seemed to have disappeared.  There was a couple at the bar; the man was wearing a  GB shirt.  We talked to a retired dentist who lived across the road front Lambeau Stadium and said Bret Favre was his patient.  The game started at 8:30 and the Packers were looking good.  I was the only one cheering in the sparse crowd.  We were disappointed that the game didn't generate more enthusiasm.  We shared a quesadilla and had beers, and I finished off with a diet coke. Packers won and it was good to watch, but we could have watched the game in our condo.

Monday,  January 2, 2017
After breakfast we put my name on the list for the TV service to connect our WiFis.  We were in for a long wait.  About 1:30 I went to the office to see how far along the tech person was.  Dave from 206 gave it a try, but he didn't have any luck either.  After not too long (Donna ?) rapped on our door ready to connect us.  My mistake was confusing a 1 for an I.  I had a problem with Peter's also until we got those two characters straightened out.
We spent the afternoon watching the Badgers against Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl game. Then continued with the Rose Bowl and part way into the Sugar Bowl,  a long day of football.

Tuesday,  January 3, 2017
After French toast for breakfast, we registered at the condo office and paid $50. condo fee.  

We went to Winds and I bought two swim suits.  I wanted a two-piece that would be easier to remove and not emphasize my belly.  The store had a lot of merchandise and I didn't have to do more shopping.  Next, we went through a car wash,  then to Pubix for a few items.

We had a light lunch and got Skype connected with Peter's computer.  I headed to the pool and did a lot of laps back and forth.  It was 83 degrees and the pool was great.
I made pork chops and peaches, fried potatoes, carrots and salad for supper.

Wednesday  January 4  2017
We had a light breakfast of Cheerios, half a hard cooked egg and yogurt with strawberries.  We took a walk along the beach, Peter went farther than I did, but at least I walked.  

We sat around the pool; Peter read, I knit, until lunch time.  I made bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches then we went down to swim and hang out at the pool for most of the afternoon. We played dominoes, and I won most of the games.

Thursday, January 5 2017
I did some laundry before we took our walk.  It was another beautiful day, but the weekend is supposed to be much cooler, with rain, so the pool had a lot of swimmers and sun bathers.  A rather uneventful day, but very pleasant. 

Friday, January 6, 2017
The day started very overcast and foggy.  By 10:00 a.m. it was clear enough to think about heading for the pool.  Peter put our gear in place, I followed soon after.  I had my swim suit on for my walk along the beach.  I love to go in the pool after lunch; I made grilled cheese.  We stayed poolside most of the afternoon and I met Nancy Grimm who remarked that my knitting had Packer colors. Found out she was not only from Wisconsin, but Hales Corners. At 5:00 p.m. We were at Doc's Beach where we had a beer and a huge hamburger.   We had a table right on the beach, enjoyed the sunset and

stayed until dark.

Saturday,  January 7, 2017
My plan to play pickleball never materialized.  Thunder, lightning, rain and strong winds greeted us this morning.  I made a fritata with peppers and zucchini for breakfast.  At 10:00 a.m. it seems to be clearing up, but as I'm sitting on the veranda I hear some rumbling and it won't clear up for awhile. We didn't do much of anything until it was time to go to the 3:30 mass, which was packed.  We shopped at the Dollar General Store for toilet paper, batteries and nail clippers, and at Walgreen's for another kind of clippers for Peter.  We also did some grocery shopping.  We watched football in the evening

Sunday   January 8, 2017
Very cold morning 39 degrees, with a lot of wind, but it was sunny.

 We didn't go out at all, just to check on the veranda who was walking on the beach (hardly anyone) or who was at the pool (no one).  We watched the Steelers beat the Lions and really enjoyed the Packers beating the Giants while eating pizza after half time.

 Monday, January 9, 2017
Another cool day.  We had to turn on the heat.  Stayed in all morning then decided it might be warmer outside by the pool.  A few people were there and some in the pool.  We weren't that brave.  I had my suit, but had to put my caftan over to cut the wind.  It was cooler whenever the sun went behind a cloud.  Getting back to the condo felt good, also lentil soup with New York toast.

Tuesday,  January 10, 2017
We got up early hoping to play pickleball.  We got on the court at 9:00 a.m. to find some tennis players on one court.  Peter and I practiced hitting for a while, then played a game as best as we could as singles.  We put our paddles in the car and took a walk along the street.  Peter, Don from D 204 and I were the only ones in the pool at about 10:30.

  It was about 73 degrees and the water was cold.  I called Dr. Waheeduddin's office to see if I could get more prednisone since I didn't allow for enough pills for the duration of our stay.  I can just see myself putting the package in the cupboard because I thought we'd be back before I needed the next dosage.  Since I got such a large prescription I wasn't eligible for my insurance to cover more.  After a couple of phone calls it was approved that I would get more pills, but I'd have to pay.  We went to Walgreen's about 5:30 and had to stand in line, then my prescription wasn't ready.  Peter got huffy and thought after 5 hours it should have been ready.  It wasn't 5 hours, and I told him to look at the people standing in line.  He goes to Aurora and has nothing to do with Walgreen's.  
We picked up a broasted chicken and a few other items.  I fixed fried potatoes,  green beans and a salad.  We had a great supper.



Wednesday,  January 11, 2017
We played pickleball with Dixie, Bridget, husband John and Deanna.  We had a good time and improved the more we played.  I called Patti and we'll get together on Friday at 3.  We spent the afternoon at and in the pool.  We met Suzanne from  Minneapolis. It was in the low 70s, but the water was comfortable 
I made a huge chicken salad from the broasted chicken. Still have a couple more meals.

Thursday,  January 12, 2017
We were at the pickleball court at 9, two couples were already playing and suggested we play on the far court to warm up, which we did.  It was nice and warm, sunny, and breezy.  After playing by ourselves for a while, we were invited to play with Mike and Christine. I did fine with Mike, but fell apart with Christine.  

Christine is organizing groups with similar playing skills.  We spent the rest of the morning at the pool, and also after lunch.  It was a beautiful day. Before leaving, Bridget gave us the social schedule: every day at sunset, building D meets for a sunset wine gathering,  on Monday appetizers are added;  every Wednesday there's a gathering with appetizers at building F.
We had to shop for groceries for supper and look for a thicker noodle. I'm happy with the thin noodle, but it doesn't support Peter very well.  Winds didn't have any, neither did the Bombay place. Because I was on the phone with Bombay, we missed Pubix.  I picked up a couple ham slices (buy one, get one free) which was a pretty good deal, and they also had thick noodles at $4.99. We got back just in time to pour a glass of wine and join the sunset group, even though the sun had already set.  We chatted with John (Deanna's husband) and the group started leaving.  
I made the ham slice with fried cubed potatoes,  green beans and a salad.

Friday, January 13, 2017
Peter took a very long walk, came back wet from mist.  There was a steady light rain, not good for pickleball. We stayed in until we ate chicken sandwiches on the porch.  By afternoon, it was warm and sunny.  We spent a lot of time in and around the pool until it was time to leave for our 6:00 p.m. reservation at Flippers.  It took us longer than 8 minutes to get there, because we overshot the road.  We had a very short wait and were seated by an open railing. I had a martini, Peter had a beer.  Peter ordered salmon that he said was the best he had in his life; I had red snapper, which was also very delicious.


        

Martinis usually wipe me out, which was the case tonight.  I was falling asleep watching TV, so I turned in before 10:00 p.m. and had no trouble falling asleep.  

Saturday,  January 14, 2017
I had too big a breakfast,  ham, scrambled eggs,  yogurt and fruit, so I had a hard time playing pickleball with Peter on the far court.  Besides, it was getting pretty hot. I was in the water for about an hour and stayed in the shade after I got out of the pool.  We had a late lunch, considering our hardy breakfast.   While we were eating Patti Breyer called and asked if we were coming.  There really was a mix up of messages.  First we set one date, I think it was Wednesday,  then it was changed to Saturday,  then they suggested coming for the game at 1:30, which I assumed was the Packers, and I said we'd be over to see the game.  But the Packers don't play until 4:30.  Their emails are very vague.  Patti said she sent the messages, which surprises  me, considering that she was a teacher and should have better communication skills.  We paid our rental of $2320, and paid a $300.deposit for next year. We had a nice visit while watching the Falcons/Seahawks game until halftime.  We made dates for lunch on the 20th and a boat ride on the 27th.  We grocery shopped and picked up my prescription at Walgreen's.  I made hamburgers and saved the rest or the ground chuck for a few more hamburgers and chili. We watched the Patriots  beat the Texans.

Sunday, January 15, 2017
We went to 9:30 mass, very crowded.   I picked up a hair brush at Dollar General, I hope it controls the unruliness.   I am embarrassed with the way my hair looks: dry and frizzy, no body or control.  The doors opened at noon at the German American Social Club, so instead of going home, we drove there and arrived at 12:20.  We got a pitcher of beer,  and got in line for the dinner or roast pork and two different kinds of sausage.  The program started at 2:30 with a procession of a freshly killed pig carried on a stretcher by men in lederhosen, followed by women mourning the pig's demise.  

A "priest"  performed the last rites.  The dinner was good and we did some dancing.  The event was well attended.  Two ladies from near Chicago joined us at our table.  Peter re-introduced himself to Joe Kuning, who we met last year.  We left at 4:30 and picked up the score of the Packers as we were driving.  The Packers were leading the Cowboys18 - 3 when we got home, but the the Cowboys tied  it up with less than a minute to go.  The Packers triumphed with a field goal and and won 34 - 31.

Monday,  January 16, 2017
Laundry took all of the morning,  with bedding, towels and personal items.  I still needed chili powder for chili so I drove to Winn Dixie for the first time.  Before that, I stopped at an outlet store and met Vagabond Jane Johnson.  I bought more groceries than just the chili powder.  When I came back I went in the pool for about an hour, the Breyers were also in the pool.  It was quite overcast most of the day.  I made chili before going to the sunset get together.  Bob was wearing a Packers jersey and Lou had on a Cowboys shirt.


Tuesday, January 17, 2017
The far pickleball court was getting lines redrawn, so we played on the first court; we were the only players.  Alice joined us, having never played.  We explained some basic rules and volley the ball until I got tired, after playing with Peter for almost an hour.  I was really perspiring.  The pool felt divine, the sun  extremely hot on my legs.  I fixed a bowl of chili for Peter and an apple for me, then went down again until sunset time. Had a nice visit with John, talking about US travel.  Stayed up late reading The Cherry Harvest,  very good.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017
Peter and I played pickleball and spent some time in  the pool before meeting Tom at the boat dock.  Mary and Bob from 308 joined us, then Patti.  Tom took us on a very enjoyable ride viewing properties and their value.  We were able to see dolphins swimming right up to the boat.

At sunset we gathered at F Building where there were plentiful dishes. I brought guacamole and chips.

Thursday, January 19, 2017
Alice joined us at pickleball, also Dixie.  After one game Dixie joined the group in the first court.  We played for about an hour and spent a little time at the pool.  I get so sweaty playing that I have a hard time pulling my clothes off and getting my swim suit on.  We left about noon for Lou and Donna's in Cape Coral.  We stopped at a Hallmark store on the way to buy a housewarming gift for their new condo. Peter parked while I went into the store. I bought a beautiful aqua glass platter with sea shells upraised in the glass.  When I looked at my credit card, it wasn't my HIG Rewards card, but a Winn Dixie customer card.  I paid in cash.  We overshot our turn and had to backtrack.  We got to Lou and Donna's at 2:00 p.m., instead of 1:00.  Their condo is a townhouse and very spacious.   There is plenty of closet space and the previous owner left many hangers.  Donna said that she got rid of some and needs to get rid of more.  I asked if we could have some,  because we are doubling clothes on our sparse supply of hangers.  It's good that Peter brought some of his own.  The platter I bought fits perfectly in their color scheme.  Donna served cheese,  sausage and crackers with beer for Peter and a wine for me.  We made a date for the to visit us next week.



By the time we got to Bonita Springs it was time for dinner and too late to start cooking.   I suggested the American Legion that Jo mentioned the other day.  It was not too far to go.  The parking lot and surrounding area were packed with cars.   Inside the bar was crowded with smokers and to the side was a "dining" area with long tables and folding chairs, pretty filled.   The menu for the day was cheeseburgers or shepherds pie.   A member said we could sit wherever we'd like and a waitress would be around to take our orders.  Peter went for beers and the waitress said cheeseburgers were sold out, so we ordered shepherds pie.  A couple from  Kentucky joined us; the man was considerably older.  He said the reason for the large crowd was the raffle drawing every Thursday.  If your number is called you win $100 or maybe $200, and if you draw a 3 of clubs from the deck you win $10,000.  That's quite an incentive.  A karaoke player kept people entertained and dancing.  We  needed a few groceries and I noticed that I did not have my credit card.  We made a thorough search of the car and my purse with no luck.  What a sad turn of events.  Lucky Peter has his.  When we got home, I did more searching, then called Master Card to report the loss.  My card will be put on temporary hold in case I should find it.  In that event  I'll need to call them about finding it and it will be restored.  
  
Friday,  January 20, 2017
Peter and I played only one game of pickleball as a group from  Dolphin Way was getting a game together on the far court.  They looked like serious players.  Just as we were winding up, Peter fell on his back, landing on his wrist; in no time it was beginning to swell.  We watched Bocci ball players for a while and the swelling was increasing.  I suggested going up to apply ice, which we did.  Peter sat with his wrist wrapped in a wash cloth filled with ice and we watched the inauguration.   It was an impressive ceremony;  however, Trump's speech sounded like a campaign speech.  We went down to the pool after lunch, very warm, comfortable water.  I had a nice chat with Susan (Jim's wife) about projects she and I are working on.  We joined the sunset group and Bob suggested applying rice that we should put in the freezer to the bruised area.  We went to Walgreen's to pick up the prints that I had made for Lou and Donna, also ibruprophin, which the pharmacist said Peter could take multiple tablets three times a day.  Next we went for groceries to make beef stroganoff.  I still made dinner of fried potatoes,  green beans and pork tenderloin when we got home and we were  eating at 8:40 p.m.

Saturday,  January 21, 2017
Peter's hand is quite swollen.  He's taking ibuprofen and applying bags of rice from the freezer, "ricing his hand".  I walked the beach up to the blue umbrellas,  then went in the pool, very warm.  The wind was picking up today.  Peter joined me in the pool.  After a late lunch of bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches,  it was just about time for church, again very crowded,  but I didn't see anyone standing. We needed water, so we picked that up, plus a few other things.  It was very windy at the sunset gathering,  and quite cool; I would have felt comfortable  with a jacket.  We had leftover pork tenderloin for supper.

Sunday,  January 22, 2017
We were fascinated this morning by the dolphins riding the waves almost up on the shore.  When I didn't see our towels on the sun porch, I assumed that Peter took them down when he went for the paper.   He said that he didn't.  None of our belongings was at the pool and the office was locked.  Woody said sometimes people from the he beach wander over and help themselves.   Bridget was  more assuring and said they'd probably be in the office.  Let's hope so; otherwise we'll have to replace four towels and a noodle. It was a very windy day.  We stayed at the the pool until about 3:00 p.m., when it was time to watch the game.  Dismal results: Falcons 44, Packers 21.  We bundled up for sunset  and everyone was sorry the Packers lost.  We finished the chili for supper. Peter had to lower the storm blinds before going to bed; the wind is howling and a storm is forecast 

Monday,  January 23, 2017
Power went out at about 6:45, gale force winds when we woke up at 7:30.

The things that were left at the pool are in the office, according to Roger, the attendant.  We did major cleaning and laundry. Wind continues very strong. Current fluctuates on and off. We stayed in most of the day: reading, knitting.  I made beef stroganoff for dinner.  We looked out at sunset and there were some people down there. We played dominoes and were pretty even winning: I won 7, Peter 6.

Tuesday,  January 24, 2017
What a difference a day makes! Sunny and calm, the palms are barely moving.  We played pickleball by ourselves (Peter left handed) until Alice came.  Dixie invited us over to the other court and I played a game with Jim and lost  and a game with Dixie and won one.  Lou and Donna and Fred Miller pulled into the parking spaces at the same time; Donna with a bouquet of flowers.  They loved our condo and the view.  Fred said that we are living like millionaires.  We had snacks on the sun porch; Fred took a walk on the beach.  We had a lovely visit, promising to do it again next year. Fred joined us at the pool, then for sunset.  We had enough beef stroganoff to stretch with a little more noodles, with some left over.  It was a full day.


Wednesday,  January 25, 2017
Peter and I played pickleball for about an hour.  Christine and Paul came when we were just about finished.  We cooled off reading the paper.   I left for groceries.  The car was so filthy after that past storm that I could hardly see out of the windows.  I looked for the car wash we went to before, but couldn't find it, and I didn't want to spend too much time backtracking.  When I got back, it was just about time for lunch. I called OptumRx and I will have to update my account with my new credit card information.   That means I'll have to do more updating with all the accounts I pay.  I called Terry and Bob said that she is very sick with asthma and a rapid heart beat. Peter was on the computer with Fred, telling him that the party on Friday was for owners and guests.  Fred was asking what he could bring; we didn't think it would be appropriate to include him.  We spent most of the afternoon in and around  the pool.  There was enough food at the Building F sunset, that we didn't feel hungry for dinner. 

Thursday,  January 26, 2017
Paul and Karen were on the first court when Peter and I got there, but they were practicing,  just like we wanted to do.  Paul was an excellent coach, just keeping us volleying the ball from different positions.   We worked out for over an hour. We cooled off in our condo and had grilled cheese for lunch.  I called Terry, she answered the phone and she was somewhat better than yesterday. Then spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool.  We left to get the car washed, picked up a six-pack of beer and went for dinner at the Fish House.

I called from Publix to put our name on the seating list.  There was no wait and we would be at the top of the list.  We sat outdoors at picnic tables in a very casual atmosphere.  Dee took care of us and sat across from Peter to answer any questions about the menu. Peter had salmon, I had bacon wrapped scallops, very good.  We topped it off by splitting a key lime pie.

Friday,  January 27, 2017
A cool day for pickleball.   Peter and I played until Christine, Paul and Lois came.  I cooked the Polish sausage for tonight.  After lunch we stayed at the pool until we saw people setting up for tonight's party.  We needed long pants and jackets on this cool evening.  Cocktails at 5:15, dinner  at 6:15.  Patti and Tom invited us to sit with them, along with Jean and Caspar, who bought a condo in Naples after deciding they needed 3 bedrooms instead of the one they have here.)


Alice on the left is learning to play pickleball with Peter and me.  She also plays bocci ball. Sarah is Alice's friend.

We had a lot of contact with these people.  Jan and her husband Woody, always very friendly in the pool; Bridget and her husband John, Dixie played pickleball with us, her husband Al, the  extra lady I don't know,  and Joyce and Mel.  We met them on nightly D building sunsets.  Mel was always walking around the pool in a crew shirt and shorts, like a supervisor.
 lovely sunset completed a lovely day



Saturday, January 28, 2017
A breezy cool day.  Alice joined us for pickleball and it was nice and refreshing, not having to work up a  sweat.  We played almost two hours.  We stayed in most of the day, because it seemed too cool to go out.  But when we did get to the pool, it was very warm.  We didn't go in the water.  We had to rush off to church, because the time went so fast. We went to our last 3:30 p.m. mass.  We joined the sunset group and were comfortable with my fleece jacket and Peter with his windbreaker.  We had a ham slice, fried potatoes and sautéed zucchini for supper.  I am really paring down on my kitchen supplies and we're doing pretty good.

Sunday, January 29, 2017
A rainy morning greeted us this morning, so no pickleball.   We had pancakes and sausage (last), yogurt  (last) with cut up peaches.  Stayed in all day; watched TV, knit, took a nap.  Sunset group seemed to linger longer after sunset, some people were leaving tomorrow and in the next few days.  We had pea soup with cut-up leftover ham and garlic bread for supper.  Watched the Pro bowl game.

Monday,  January 30, 2017
After breakfast of scrambled eggs and fried potatoes we started packing and cleaning up.  I was able to use bonus points to reserve a room  at a Holiday Express in Chattanooga for tomorrow night.  We spent all of the afternoon I  the pool. The water was warm, but chilly coming out.  

We made reservations at Fresh Catch in Fort Myers  Beach.  We were early for happy hour and had window seating in a lovely dining room.  They served French bread with olive oil and a scoop of pesto.  I had a fabulous seal bass, Peter had salmon.  

We were in time for a beautiful sunset.  Peter had a problem getting a wagon to load up the car.  It seems more people had the same idea.  He managed to get one from the next building and loaded what we didn't need for tomorrow.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

We were up at 5:00 a.m.  Peter got a wagon for the remainder of our things and left the place spic and span.  We also left the bouquet of flowers from Donna on the cocktail table. That was Peter's idea, and I thought that was a nice touch. 


We were on our way at 5:53 a.m. on a cool morning, about 49 degrees.  We got two for $2.00 sausage McMuffins at McDonald's.  We had lunch at a park-like rest stop, probably in Georgia.    The roads were excellent, weather was pleasant, slightly overcast and the traffic was light, except when we were near larger cities.  Peter was driving and at 5:37 p.m. 37 minutes from our destination at the Holiday Express in Ringold, TN, the car started to shimmy.  I immediately thought it was a tire, which it was.  We could smell smoke and saw part of the tire fly into a ditch.  Peter was able to pull over, fortunately in an area that was extended from the shoulder that seemed to have some work being done. The under fender was ripped apart and the car was sitting on the rim. I called AAA and told the agent that we were on I 75 in TN.  We waited some time, and soon a highway patrol came by.  We told him that we were waiting for AAA.  He was the most pleasant person and told us to call if there was any additional help we needed.  Did we ask him to pinpoint our location? NO!  We were actually still in Georgia!  As we're waiting, Peter spotted a car not too far behind us.  There was a young black man with a BMW with a flat tire, also waiting for AAA.  He said he was told there would be a two-hour wait, which was what we were told.  I called again, and AAA was having difficulties with our location, even though we said we were at a billboard advertising motels at Exit 306 (which was the exit we could see).  But, of course, if we told him we were in TN, and really in GA, how could they find us?  Pretty soon the black man abandoned his car and got a ride to his destination.  We're still waiting.  Presently a tow truck pulls up behind us to pick up the BMW and couldn't offer any assistance to us.  He said he could put on our spare tire for $75, but putting on the spare would not work, since the under fender was also ripped apart, and it would not be advisable to drive in that condition.  Peter insisted that we needed to be towed.  I called Holiday Express telling them our situation and still planned on arriving there.  We were in contact periodically with AAA and got another service person who tried locating us and said he'd be there shortly.  We were waiting so long that the flashers drained the battery and the car was dead, even though the flashers were still working. The service person came with a truck, not a tow, but he gave our battery a charge.  He said there was a major screw-up, because he said he was supposed to fix the tire of the BMW, and the tow truck driver was supposed to take care of us.  He made a very long phone call to AAA, and said we'd get help shortly.  I gave him $10 for his trouble.  Since I had Goodyear tires, I thought taking it to a Goodyear dealer would be better than taking it to a regular garage.  He said there was a Goodyear dealer right off Exit 312, which also had a Super 8.  I called Super 8, which had a vacancy, and told the desk to hold the room.  No way would we be able to get to the Holiday Express, so I lost my free night.  AAA called again to verify that we'd be getting a tow truck, but the closest one wouldn't come for two hours.  The driver called to let me know that he was coming from Chattanooga, 75 miles away and to allow about 90 minutes.  He was coming from the south, so he would have to go beyond where we were and get to the next exit south to approach our car.  Seven hours after the tire blew, the tow truck flashed his lights from the opposite direction and we flashed back.  It took him a while to get back to us, but the nicest man you couldn't find.  He got the car up on the trailer, we got in the cab and he drove us to the Goodyear garage where we left the car, and pulled out our overnight bags.  I didn't see mine, with all my personal things, medication, cosmetics, connections for all my electronic devices.  I was just sick; could I have left it by the road where we had our flat?  That seemed likely, because we did a lot of unloading to get to the spare tire, which we really wouldn't need, since it wouldn't have done any good putting it on. And we were under stress with everything that was going on, I might have been distracted and left it behind. I gave up looking and then he drove us to Super 8.  He waited to make sure the room still was available, since I didn't secure it with a credit card.  Fortunately, it was.  At 1:30 a.m. we got to sleep, I without my night clothes, because everything was in my overnight bag. We set the alarm for 6:30 a.m. so that we could have the motel breakfast and call Goodyear when it opens at 7:30 a.m.  In the morning I called Goodyear and talked to Jesse who said he would pick us up at 8:00 a.m. to arrange for the repair.  He was at the motel at exactly 8:00 a.m. and said he'd have our car in operating order in not too long.  I got my knitting from the car, expecting a long wait.  What if he needed to get a new rim, and have to get one delivered?  I barely got three rows of ribbing knit, when Jesse came with the keys: our car is repaired, before 9:00 a.m.  He was also able to attach the under fender and the rim was not damaged, except for a couple of scrapes.  I was planning on driving back to the spot where we were on the highway to see if my bag was still there.  With all the cars and trucks speeding by, who would notice a brown overnight bag that was almost the same color as the ground.  Peter wanted to change into something warmer when we got back to the motel, and lo and behold! my overnight was in the trunk.  It was on its side and I was looking at the underside, which I didn't recognize. So I took a sigh of relief, that I had all of my belongings.  We were on our way again at 10:00 a.m., much later than the 6:00 a.m. departure we had planned had we not had the delay of car repair.  We finished off more food at a rest stop in Tennessee; although it was a little breezy.  We were due at my home at 9:30 p.m. and I thought stopping at some little town for Chinese or Mexican might be nice, maybe around 7:30.  But how do you find something going 80 mph?  Chuck that idea.  How about a Cracker Barrel?  We passed two in Illinois, and couldn't stop because Peter wasn't in the right lane to get off.  By then, I didn't feel like Cracker Barrel, but a hamburger and a beer would have hit the spot.  Peter knew just the place: The Brat Place in Kenosha.  I had a steak sandwich with Alaskan lager (very good beer, sandwich wasn't that good; I should have had a hamburger.)  We pulled into my garage about 10:00 p.m.

I wasn't sitting idle during January.  I had a nice assortment (18 ) of chemo caps that I worked on while at the pool, watching TV, or while Peter was driving.  They were also a conversation starter, as people asked what I was knitting.

February 2, 2017

Peter and I started the day with a simple breakfast, he arranged my car after our trip, and got his things ready to take home. Before taking him home, we picked up his mail and made sure his car started; it did.  When I went for my mail the postal worker said that I had requested that it be delivered to my house. Jerry came with the key and told of his concern about Jetta: she wasn't eating and threw up a lot.  He thought that I should take her to the vet  and he also thought for her age the litter box is too high.  I think the vet would say stress caused her appetite to react, also the vomiting. She hasn't vomited since I'm home, and she is clinging to me like glue. My mail came late in the day, most went into recycling.  Went to the WAUC meeting after Peter reminded me, then he didn't go because it was too cold, 18 degrees.   Terry and Bob were there, but left early, so I didn't go to Wendy's. 

Friday February 2, 2017
I worked on the mail and unpacking before going for my hair appointment at 1:00 p.m.  Kristina noticed how dry my hair was and the crown was lighter.  I should have worn a hat.  I also got a cut and waxing.  It made a lot of difference.  I met Peter at the Hales Corners P & R to join the Vagabonds for fish fry at The Packing House. Very good attendance and good food.  Politics spoiled it for me when Peter,  Hal and Al got into to the world situation,  even when I asked them to stop. I didn't care to stay for the music.  

Saturday,  February 3, 2017
Breakfast was sparsely attended, besides, it was cold, 17 degrees. I went to the AAUW luncheon, took pictures and enjoyed the speaker about his maritime experiences, including being an officer on the Titanic.  Worked on putting photos in the Penzu Florida log, and itemizing our expenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment