Sunday, February 14, 2021

Iwakuni

 Tueaday, June 12, 2018,

Peter was at my house at 6:50 a.m  and was able to have some juice and cereal before our ride arrived shortly before the scheduled time of 7:15.  Traffic was light and we got to the Delta check-in in plenty of time.   We could have eliminated self check-in  because we had to go to the counter to check our bags.  Gate D44 was pretty full, but we didn't  have long to wait before boarding.  Flight to Minneapolis was smooth and pleasant.  I was surprised that our connecting gate was so close to our arrival gate.  Usually you have to go quite a distance, but it was really very close.  Lots of Japanese waiting to board!  We had less than an hour before boarding and our seats are the worst in the plane.  There is a wall to the toilet right behind us, so we couldn't recline our seats fully,  also the constant opening and closing of the door, plus flushing wasn't conducive to sleeping. I must have dozed off a little, but I wasn't very comfortable.  I lost the slippers and I hope that I can find my shoes.  This is very cramped seating. 
I think the airline is simulating our body clocks for Japanese time, because we had a full meal, then the lights went out for sleeping.  By my local time, it was 5:45 p.m.
I'm ripping my chemo cap because I made a mistake,  but when  the lights go out I have to stop.  I lost my marker, that's how it happened.
Wednesday, June 13, 2018
At last, the 11 - hour flight came to an end.  Peter asked the stewardess if the plane was that full that we couldn't have had better seats.  She said we could have asked for different seats if we weren't satisfied.  But when we were all settled we didn't think about that until it was time to shift around in our seats, or get up.   As we were taking off for Iwakuni Peter waved to the flight director who was bowing to us.  The 1 1/2 hour flight to Iwakuni was good, and what a wonderful sight for our eyes to see Don waiting for us after we claimed our luggage. 
We had warm greeting with Masako and were introduced to our rooms in their very large house.  Masako had a delicious pasta dish with peas, salad and watermelon.   We didn't linger too long before getting into our beds to make up for our deprived sleep.
Thursday, June 14, 2018
My coughing kept me up, and I was restless.  I got out of bed, took a shower and prepared breakfast for Peter and me.  Don has school today and tomorrow;  Masako has choir practice.  Peter and I took a walk along a canal, so we wouldn't get lost.  There were a lot of vegetables planted in small spaces, very well tended.  The road was narrow, so Peter was on the lookout for oncoming cars whose drivers bowed to us as they passed.  Masako prepared lunch of baked ribs and her home grown potatoes.   We took a short rest before Masako drove us to Don's school. What a facility!   He has an enormous art room in a newly built school, its first year.  He really deserved that after dedicating so many years to teaching.  But it's rare to be the first one in a brand new school.
Don drove us around the base, which is much larger than it was when I  was here previously.  We drove along the shore and stopped at Don's favorite fishing spot.  We stopped at a couple of temples; one where a Shinto priest was blessing a family.  Our last stop was at a lovely garden with Siberian iris in various stages of bloom and many colorful hydrangeas.
We had a wonderful supper of grilled  chicken thighs that Don brought from his school cookout, plus potatoes, home grown fried onions, salad and watermelon.   I turned in about 9:00 p.m. after dozing off trying to watch a baseball game. Peter came down with a cold and by the end of the day lost his voice.
Friday, June 15, 2018
I think my cold is turning around.  I slept much better, with not too much coughing.  
After breakfast Masako took us to the Kintai Bridge.  We passed it last night driving by with Don, but it was already getting dark and pictures wouldn't be any good.  Today the day was clear and sunny.  I didn't want to walk the bridge, just take some pictures.  Then we drove to a shrine with an adjoining cemetery.  I always marvel how many fresh flowers are put therre.  This is a shrine in a place that Don comes to meditate and both he and Masako volunteer to clean up.
We had lunch at a very nice traditional restaurant with a tray of assorted dishes, plus an extra piece of breaded pork.  I managed eating with chop sticks and didn't do too badly.  We stopped at a 100 yen store looking for handkerchiefs,  but found none.  I picked up some chair socks for my dining room chairs. 
We didn't have our passports so Masako drove home to get them so that we could get on  the base.  I wanted to take a picture of Don in his classroom. 
Don took us on a long drive up Mt. Zenetsube to get spectacular views of the ocean and all the little islands.  We stayed to enjoy the view on an unusually beautiful day.  Don pointed out some other points of interest on our descent.  We stopped at a pharmacy for some cough medicine and cough drops before heading home.  I thought my cough was turning the corner, but sometimes it gets so I tense that I almost choke.
Masako fixed chill  for supper and refreshing watermelon.   I managed to watch some soccer before calling it a day.
Saturday,  June 16, 2018
After a hardy Donald breakfast of scrambled eggs with noodles,  peas, cheese, etc., we drove to Hiroshima on a very warm sunny day.  Don dropped us off and we walked to the museum while Don and Masako waited for us.  It took over an hour to view all the exhibits and read4 the texts.  Naturally,  we couldn't read everything,  but got sufficient understanding of the horrendous results of this terrible bomb.  We walked around the grounds, then through a mall to a third - floor restaurant that served okonomi-yaki a traditional Hiroshima dish.  We sat in a booth with a warming surface between us.  Each serving was placed on the warming surface and we helped ourselves.  It was more than filling.  Afterwards, we drove home.  On the way, Don stopped at a bakery featuring German bakery, the baker having studied in Germany for eight years.  Don bought an assortment of bakery, and asked to see the baker, who came out and greeted Peter.  As we were leaving in the car, he presented us with a bag with some pretzels.
Sunday,  June 17, 2018
Don said we would not go to church.  It is a long way to the base (the only church) and the mass times are very inconvenient.
After a light breakfast that included bakery bread, we drove to Oshima and a famous temple.  There are eighty temples on the island and some people, including Don and Masako, make a pilgrimage to visit them all, which they have done.  Some are very remote, but with determination,  they find them.  There were many sculptures including the Chinese zodiac  (I am the year of the monkey).  One man is responsible for all the landscaping on these very large grounds that included many huge boulders.  He refused help to complete the work; however,  monetary donations were provided.  We passed another very small temple, so Peter and I have 86 more to go to complete the quota of 88.
We had lunch at Chidori Restaurant,  on the second floor of a spa.  We removed our shoes before going upstairs and sat at a very bright table.  Don and Masako were here previously with Rachel's family.  We each had a tray with an assortment of foods; mine included raw fish, miso, tempura, plus others. Peter's tray had mostly fried dishes.  
Peter and Masako watched soccer; I read, Don was on his laptop. 
Monday, June 18, 2018
Don went to his school to do some finishing off; Masako is at choir practice. It is a rainy morning.   
It cleared up enough by the time Don came back to go up to the Iwakuni Castle.  A rope system took us up the mountain; Don hiked up and would meet us. When we got to the top there was a walk and stairs up to the castle.  We did not go in, just walked the grounds and took pictures.  There was a nice view of Iwakuni and the bridge.  Don met us soaking wet from his climb.  We walked around a little more before we all took the tram down.  Masako had a nice lunch that included some leftovers from the restaurant. 
I spent the rest of the afternoon finishing Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie, and rested until supper.  Fish, rice, miso, salad and tofu with cabbage. 
Soccer games in the evening.
Tuesday,  June 19, 2018
We woke up to a rainy morning, and it looks like it will continue.  Don left to work at school and grocery shop; Masako made granola.  I really like it and have the recipe to make it when I get home.  After lunch we drove to Namaguchi Plant Land.  Light rain followed us, but stopped enough when we got there.  The first thing that appears is a Ferris wheel with each seat filled with impatiens slowly moving round.  The grounds are vast with large beds of plants, all clearly marked.  I wish that I could have captured the fragrance -of the gardenias.  We had to open our umbrellas as a light mist was falling, but nothing to spoil our outing.  We walked through the greenhouse, more of a gift shop with many plants that I wouldn't mind having,  mostly succulents.  We went through another gift shop where I bought a postcard.  
I'm glad that I brought my knitting,  because I just about completed a cap on the long drive back and forth.  Everywhere you want to go is a long drive.  Traffic seems to move steady on the one-lane roads, but it would take me awhile to get used to driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car.
Masako prepared cheese - filled meatballs,  pasta and a salad for supper.
Everyone watched soccer; I went to bed at 10:15  before the first game ended; Peter stayed up to watch a second game.  I have no idea when he went to bed.
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
The rain didn't deter us, besides, it was a light, warm summer sprinkle.  We set out at 10:30 a.m. for Miyajima  (Miya  = shrine, Jima  = Island).  We boarded a ferry that took us to the island, then walked towards Otorii for photos.  Peter and I walked through the historical shrine where some ceremony was being conducted.  Don and Masako met us at the end.  We kept walking to another temple that Don wanted to climb  up to, involving many steps.  The rest of us declined but Masako encouraged Peter that he could do it, which he did, and reported that there were 98 steps going up.  Umbrellas came in handy with a light steady rain.  Peter and I shared an umbrella, which was rather inconvenient.  Peter liked the clear plastic umbrellas that many people were using.  We bought one for 500 yen, which I thought was worth the price, and a good keepsake. 
We boarded the return ferry at 1:55 p.m. and in about 10 minutes we were on the opposite side.  We had box lunches at a nearby restaurant with eel over rice and a few condiments; the eel was delicious.  I was pretty hungry, not having eaten since 9:00 a.m.  
I thought we were headed home, but Don had  tea ceremony lesson to which we were invited.  We entered the tea room and were greeted by Don's teacher, an elderly lady, and her assistant.  We sat on chairs, everyone else sat on the floor.  The assistant served a thin tea in bowls with some sweets.  Don served a thick tea that tasted like spinach.  The setting was charming, and a lovely experience.  By the time we were leaving it was bright sunshine.
Thursday,  June  21, 2018
A beautiful,  bright, sunshiny day.  Masako played tennis until noon, Don had errands.  Peter and I walked to the plant shop about a block away.  Very many plants to choose from, plus pots and ornaments, inside and out.  Peter wanted to buy a plant for Masako and Don's garden and chose a bougainvillea,  which I thought unsuitable.  We set aside a sunflower while I went to get some yen.  We changed our mind to a nice rudbeckia which would fill in a space I thought would work.  Masako fixed lunch, a lot of leftovers that were more than we could eat.  Don suggested a drive to the mountains, that sounded great.  We drove along a river with a number of fisherman fishing for ayu in their waders and long poles.  The current was rather swift after all the rain . We drove to a roadside restaurant, lovely landscaped, with a lot of outdoor seating.  We each had a coffee and relaxed in this beautiful setting.
Almost near Iwakuni, I spotted a lot of flags where Don drove to as the site of a shrine.  He said there was quite a celebration on New Year's Eve with huge fires and free sake. 
I remarked how new all the cars were, which was evident everywhere- we went, small, efficient, but all in excellent condition.  Don said that when a new car is purchased the buyer pays a recycling fee.
We got home, and after checking computers and reading, we had dinner of baby back ribs that Don prepared, plus salad and rice.
Peter took a nap before watching soccer at midnight.
Friday, June 22, 2018
A beautiful,  sunny, warm day.  Masako went to play tennis; Don ran errands, but was home early enough for us to take a 2-hour drive to Yamaguchi, with a cultural village.  A bus took us to the uppermost area and by following a map we stopped at various houses that featured different crafts:  woodworking, weaving, dying, paper making.  Unfortunately,  no one was working at any of the crafts except weaving.  There were very few people on the grounds, so we took our time exploring.  We stopped for complimentary tea; Don and Peter had coffee.  The last house was a museum with many tools and artifacts. A man explained to Don how the logs from a forest were cut and transported many miles by manpower to another site to build a temple.  The process of transporting the logs took one year.
We drove the freeway and made very good time.  We relaxed a while before going to the restaurant that Masako took Peter and me to.  Peter and I had sake, Peter's first.  I had a breaded chicken breast, Peter had pork, with all the side dishes that come with it.
No soccer for Peter tonight, because we have to pack and get off to an early start.
Saturday,  June 23, 2018
Peter was up before me.  I showered first, then we had cereal for breakfast, plus toast for Peter.  Peter gave Masako a Cross pen which she seemed to appreciate.   He gave Don $60 towards all the gas he used.  We were off to the airport by 7:45 a.m.  with plenty time in this small airport.  With warm good-byes, we parted, hoping to see each other again when they come to Wisconsin. We got ticketed only to Tokyo and would get the rest of our boarding passes in Tokyo. The flight was pleasant. The bus ride to the international terminal took about 15 minutes in this massive airport.   We found the Delta check-in, but were not able to change our seats, because the flight is full.  Peter is fuming, and insisted that I could have selected seats, or Jay could have done better.  I hate the rest of this flight, because I feel responsible for our poor seats. We had Masako ' s egg sandwiches and energy bars, which were substantial enough to tide us over until we had a meal on the plane, plus coffee.  The stewardess confirmed that the flight was full, and there was no way we could exchange our seat/s.  How come the young people in front of us had better seats, and we older ones had poorer sears.  No more mention was made of our seating,  thank goodness.  After our meal, I took a couple Melatonin  (I shouldn't have had the wine),  and managed to get a nice snooze  past San Francisco. 
When we got to MPLS, I had no trouble going through immigration,  but Peter had to go through a different line because of his foreign passport, and it was going incredibly slow.  I managed to get our luggage, and an attendant helped me put it on a cart.  When Peter finally got finished, we had to recheck our luggage and go through security.  Leaving security, we checked our gate and as we were walking there, Peter realized he didn't have his neck pocket that had his green card.  We went back to security, looked through the boxes, nothing.  Then I went back where we checked our gate, and there it was, the lady attendant who helped us locate our gate and put us in the right direction had picked it up and it was on a ledge.  Thank goodness!  More fuming for all the stripping at security.  We had to really speed to our gate, which naturally was the farthest from where we were.  My mouth was parched, my legs ached, and I felt exhausted.   Luckily, we had time to spare and settled in our seats.  
We landed in Milwaukee to sunny skies and got our Go-Fast ride to my home.  We went to Mariachi's for Margaritas and fajitas that were very filling.  I watched Bandwagon before getting to bed, with Dolly sticking to me like glue.
Sunday, June 24, 2018.
Got ready for 10:30 mass, turned the key, dead battery.  AAA came promptly and gave me a boost.  He said Lincolns seem to have a lot of battery problems because of their electronics.  I asked if there was something that I could do, like shutting something down, to not let it run down.  The service man recommended a battery keeper that can be plugged into the wall if the car isn't going to be used for a while.  He installed it, and I know I'm going to need it when  I go to Galapagos.


Virus-free. www.avg.com

No comments:

Post a Comment