Sunday, August 28, 2022

Museum of Wisconsin Art

Friday, August 26, 2022

Life Enrichment Director Abby Syverson drove Joe and Sharon Malenda, Linda Mistele, Barbara Schmidt and me to the Museum of Wisconsin Art (MOWA) in West Bend.  The white and multi-window building is very modernistic surrounded by clouds of hydrangeas.  I became a one-year member for two with my $25 admission.  




The featured exhibit was Tom Jones: Here We Stand that features almost one hundred and fifty photographs of the Ho-Chunk Nation.  Here is just a sample.




The immense size of this 14 x 24 ft. painting of The Flagellants by Carl von Marr caught everyone's attention as the subjects are beating themselves begging for God's mercy during the Bubonic Plague.


It was amusing listening to Fred Stonehouse tell of his dream that inspired Dream of the Marsh Potatoes about a classmate that inserted an "r" in certain words and it really is "mash" potatoes.


Tom Uttech's Nin Gassinsibingwe ("I wipe my tears" in the Ojibwe language) is surrounded by Still Lives by Jennifer Angus.  Each motif is an arrangement of four cicadas with bell jars containing insects in various settings.




Robert von Neuman's Portuguese Fisherman is an example of his work that features common people in human scenes of everyday life.  He was on the faculty of Wisconsin State College, later UW-M, when I was a student there.

I will surely make use of my one-year membership by visiting this museum again.
We completed our outing with a photo in front of an outdoor sculpture.



No comments:

Post a Comment