Thursday, November 4, 2021

Assembly Required

Sunday, October 31, 2021 

I call my apartment "functional", but it could do with some better organization.  I have many plastic bins of varying sizes holding odds and ends on my shelves in my bedroom. It really looks cluttered.


After considering other storage containers, I thought some drawers would look neater.  I ordered 3 two-drawer units from Wayfair.  They arrived yesterday (Saturday).  I had a pretty full day, so when I opened the carton later in the day I was overwhelmed with all the parts and the directions.  I invited Peter to give me a hand, which he willingly agreed to.

After mass on Sunday I felt more alert and tried again looking at the directions and I was able to assemble one drawer.  Peter arrived at about 2:00 p.m. with a set of tools and went right to work.  I guided him at first, since I had one drawer completed.  I assembled the cabinet and had to redo it, because I had one unfinished edge facing forward.  Then when I tried putting the drawer in, it would not go in all the way.  I think I took the cabinet apart two times, and thought I was going crazy turning the boards around countless ways.  Peter came to the rescue by noticing that I tightened the drawer stops too tightly and it was hitting the runner.  Once I loosened it somewhat, it worked just fine.  Once we knew what we were doing, the third unit went together with ease.  We finished about 4:40 p.m. just in time to get to Jay and Laura's for dinner.

We munched on cheese, crackers, nuts, etc. and wine until we sat down to a delicious dinner of pork tenderloin and mushrooms in Marsala wine with mashed potatoes and green beans.  We had ginger snaps for dessert.

Continued:

Monday, November 15, 2021

Why didn't I buy another set to complete the bottom shelf?  I did just that and I was able to assemble the drawers and cabinet in one hour!  I think my shelves look much better.



No comments:

Post a Comment