Friday, August 30, 2024

Tablet Frustration

 Friday, August 30, 2024

I've been getting the message "Dangerously low in memory" on my tablet, even as I remove apps and clean out files.  I was planning to show a Power Point of my balloon ride over Cappadocia at the Travel Stories, and the program would not open.  But it worked on my older tablet.

I went to the hands-on WAUC meeting yesterday hoping to get help.  Tom and Brian both worked on it, but removing apps contributed to minimal improvement.  

Terry mentioned that Tom had his Kindle Fire 10 that he just bought and really loves it.  I looked at it and noticed how extremely light it was. Terry has been talking about Kindle Fire for years and how she loves it, recommending it highly.  I was always reluctant to buy one, but we looked at them together online.  Tom got his on Prime Days for $75, Amazon had it for $89.

When I got home from the meeting I ordered one.  It was in the mail room at 9:00 a.m.!  as I was going to Nancy Alioto's funeral (one of our Prayer Shawl members)  https://www.harderfuneralhome.com/obituaries/Nancy-A-Alioto?obId=32899541   

Also delivered were two magnetic shelves to attach to the side of my refrigerator.

I unwrapped the Kindle Fire and started going through the set-up.  When I tried setting up my email I had problems with my password and verification.  Then I got a screen with numbers like numbers on a phone. I was getting nothing buy advertising and nothing else.  Terry suggested calling Amazon tech support.  The number she gave me was robotic and asked questions about returning the product.  After a lot of shouting at the robot, I connected to a person who gave me the number for tech support.  That number wanted to sell me something.  I tried again, with more shouting at the robot until I got a wonderful tech who had me factory install the tablet.  I managed to complete the set-up until I got those stupid numbers again.  I was ready to scream.  Then I realized....those numbers were for me to enter my PIN!  What a dope.  After that fiasco, I was able to enjoy my tablet the rest of the day. 

Monday, September 1

As I'm using my Fire more, I'm really liking it, especially being able to write with a stylus instead of type.  I ordered a case and it's delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment