Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Saint Rita Square Residents

Cookie Anderson 1112

I first met Cookie at the Domes as she was demonstrating origami.  She is still folding at SRS during quiet times.  Cookie is an Ambassador and visited me with other Ambassadors when I first moved in.  She is wheelchair bound, but navigates around very speedily.

Rita Anglehart 1408

Rita is a beautiful woman, very friendly.  We had a very nice conversation when she arrived from East Castle Place.

Frank D'Amato 1102

I see Frank tending his plants outside his door: full-blossomed geraniums and a huge pot of basil.  He waters the plants that the Garden Club planted in the tower and planter.  He ushers at church and his daughter is a lector.

Jon and Anne Bales 1605

Jon is an artist that crafted stained glass ornaments for every newcomer to SRS.  He can be seen sketching and taking part in the drawing class.  He plays sheepshead with us on Tuesday.

Anne recognized me from AAUW.  She is wheelchair bound.

Chuck and Jane Boecher 1611

Chuck and Jane are always together, except when he's playing sheepshead with us.  He tried teaching me dominoes, but now both are more interested in Screw Your Neighbor.

Janice Collins 1302

When I told Janice that I have a daughter named Janice, she added J-A-nice.  I see her watering her numerous plants on her balcony.

Roosevelt Cooper 1211

Roosevelt's apartment is across the hall from mine.  I have never seen him, but his shelf has accumulation of papers that have been distributed, also a parcel.  I heard that he's been away for dialysis, but unfortunately he died recently.

Sue Cottrell 1207

Sue walks her dog a few times throughout the day.  Her balcony is overflowing with plants.

Rita Edwards 1305

Rita is a real fashion plate, very tastefully dressed.  We both like to watch movies together.

Judith (Judy) Engel 1308

Judy is a Vagabond and a SRS Ambassador.  She is inclined to fall, and had done so frequently.  She is now in the hospital (9/1/2021) after falling with no one knowing about it.  She usually eats at Table 10.

Constance "Connie" Haas 1505

Connie is very outgoing with a hardy laugh.

Annie Hahn 1205

Annie is a sharp sheepshead player.  She loves to see Hello Dolly exploring the hall.

Pattie Fetherston 1411

Patti was the first to welcome me to Table 10.  She is very concerned about other people.

Jackie Haessly and Dan Di Domizio 1409

Jackie is a real leader.  She took charge of the Garden Club and the verbo composting.  She graciously offered to take care of Hello Dolly when Peter and I went to Munising, MI.

I have not had too much interaction with Dan

Jack Huennekens 1407

Jack usually stops at tables in the dining room to do some chatting.  He is very fit and is a regular in the fitness room.  I see him going there later in the evening.  He leads a Bible study and rosary group on Saturdays; also, reads the petitions at the Tuesday mass.  He continues his love of his wife by putting a bouquet of fresh flowers in his room for her.

Rosemary Kawlewski 1507

Rosemary is an Ambassador and spreads friendship wherever she goes.

Rockne Koch 1402

Rockne is quiet and sometimes joins us at dinner.


Lanore Lee 1110

Lanore loves everything about St. Rita and says her blessings about all that God has provided.  We both love eating our breakfast outdoors and sometimes she get the spillover from the water from my plants.  She participates in many activities, especially fitniess.

Joe and Sharon Malenda 1301

I was surprised to meet Master Gardener Joe Malenda, although he said that he is no longer a member.  Sharon was the administrator of Friends of Boerner.  We are working together with the Garden Club; they will be coordinating with the chef on the herbs he needs, I will be deadheading and fertilizing.

Sandra "Sandi" and Bob Mendelsohn 1609

Sandi is an Ambassador and visited me when I first moved in.  She plays sheepshead and is an avid learner.

Marilyn Minor 1304

Marilyn and I usually greet it other in the morning as I'm having my breakfast on my balcony as long as the weather is favorable.  She comes from California and is happy to have found SRS.

Eugene Pocernich 2602

Gene is an ordained priest, but does not refer to himself as one.  He is very sociable.

Marceline "Marcie" Roberts 1405

Marcie is very petite, but has unbelievable energy.  It is quite often that I see her with her shopping cart walking to P & S on Lyon St.  She eats at Table 10, but has to sit on a cushion because she is so tiny.  She is a lector at the Tuesday mass and reads with such inflection that the message resounds.

Barbara Schmidt 1610

Barbara is a Vagabond and a SRS Ambassador.  She is very physically active, taking stairs instead of the elevator, walks to St. Hedwig, roller skates, ice skates, plus active in the fitness room.


John Peter Wolter 1213

John Peter has a wry sense of humor.  We play sheepshead on Tuesdays.  He eats at Table 10 and composed this poem.

Table Ten

I've become a wino sitting at Table Ten                                                  With the Charming ladies and erudite men.

From the ladies my heart is brightened                                                    From the men my mind enlightened.

Both ladies and gents add so very much,                                                  Still it's the wine that adds the magic touch.

Whether deep robust red or sparkling white                                           It's the wine that is the greatest delight.

I sip, sip, sip, and drink, drink drink                                                  Imbibing more and more, and more than I think.

My head spins round and round and the lights go low                          My brain is clogged and my speech is slow.

I have drunk deeply, far more than I am able                                        Now in silence, I slip beneath the table.

At last, under the table quiet, I sleep                                                    Then slowly I awake and homeward I creep.

If after the meal you are one who lingers,                                            Take care; don't step on my fingers.  

                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment